Tuesday 28 May 2013

Blog- 20May 2013

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000167 EndHTML:0000003938 StartFragment:0000000454 EndFragment:0000003922
Blog 20 May 2013

The Extra Image

Extra image required- my daughter said “told you so , told you to make a spare!”

Process and no
“its not just a dumb way of making work ...without any craft....”David Batchelor 2009

I peeled the Frog tape off and the paint had leaked under it!

I had cut up frog tape so it was 40mm wide, lots and lots of frog tape, placed 30mm apart with the aid of tweezers and a ruler on a very dry surface, then I had divided it all by cutting areas away so that the effect of slatted blinds could be seen, each blind stopping at the end of another part of window.

I carefully pressed each length of tape down to be sure paint would not creep under. Oh the frog tape was all placed at an angle-that did not make the task any easier, and as the light came through the window I was trying to communicate, it changed direction so of course did the frog tape......
Three/ four layers of paint, not the usual number.

But the paint had leaked and the reason I think was: I had made an impression of trees into my background surface and because the surface was slightly uneven the tape had not held its resistance. The surface was not damp the underlying tree images were made two weeks ago and left.

The image was a slatted window through which you could just make out a tree in winter.

But the paint had leaked.
Under14hours left.



The slats of the windows had to go, so that the leaked paint would go, out came the sandpaper and off came the paint -

and another more interesting image (another tree which I thought I had sanded away before starting work.) emerged.

The painting changed, so did its balance and it stood out from its crowd.

What should I have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment