Tuesday 28 May 2013

Blog 4 April 2013

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000167 EndHTML:0000002452 StartFragment:0000000454 EndFragment:0000002436
BLOG 4April 13

As part of my preparation for our end of FdA course exhibition I have been working on a number of paintings in grey tones, these relate to deconstructed buildings or abstracts. (1)

I have planned and tested what I intended to make, using a new (to me) low tack product (Frisket) to make my stencil. This I tested in a smaller proportions and it seemed to work well in some cases and not in others.

Frisket, it seems is designed to be used with spray paint rather than roller or paint brush. This has in fact affected my plans as I had hoped to be able to move away from frog tape. I can make wider areas of masking with frog tape but overlap becomes difficult to cut and as a result a bleed can happen.

I spent quite a few hours measuring, cutting and applying Frisket for this work, satisfied that all the rectangles were straight etc I applied paint, the frisket moved and you can also see bleds, it is possible to remove some bleds by scrapping off or even removing with water but nothing can sort out the movement.
I think this was because of the surface texture which was not smooth, having been rolled on tends to be a little like sandpaper.

I have applied Frog tape where possible and the squewd background provides interest, but it is irritating to me.

I am not rushing, I try to work carefully, I measure, maybe colour mixing is not what it should be but what else should I be doing? I am not sure I want to work in the surface for ever but I would like to develop further the effects .

No comments:

Post a Comment