Tuesday 28 May 2013

Blog: Info on Exhibition Proposal Easter Vacation 28March 2013

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000167 EndHTML:0000004675 StartFragment:0000000454 EndFragment:0000004659
Blog Info on Exhibition Proposal Easter Vacation 28March 2013

I think you have all seen my proposals, for the summer exhibition I submitted five different proposals , four involved work already done but wall paintings are to be added, as a background for the work. The wall painting, is inspired by Toby Paterson's style of presentation, I think, it brings a whole new dynamic to the work being displayed. I am writing here to provide greater detail to 'proposal one' which I intend to amend:

Proposal one was for 12/15 paintings to be hung as one work.

I am using my essay as my starting point and want to include ideas that have arisen, and are connected to Le Corbusier; the period and Modernist Architecture and now.

I intend to make fifteen acrylic paintings, on MDF Board frames, 40 x 40x 2cm. I intend to paint the wall area where the work will be hung with two right angle triangles as these were of great importance to Corbusier. He wrote 'A Poem to the Right Angle' a book of writings and images.

The wall painting bit is the Paterson inspiration. The fifteen paintings to hang in three rows of five with 10cm between each painting.

I hope to cover aspects including:

  • Le Corbusier's:
Villa Savoye this is a strong link to Le Corbusier, because the things that he held most dear to architecture at that time were reflected, e.g It was of modular design and highlights LCs five points .
Also important were: The right angle;the cube etc

  • The links made to Brutalism

  • I am interested in a number of buildings eg Habitat 67 which was built by Moshe Safdie as part of Canada's 1967 celebrations, (Expo 67) in someways an incredibly intricate building of units and St Peters Seminar, Scotland obsolete as it was finished and abandoned about ten years later, as the Catholic church changed its method of training. But these two choices undoubtedly will change, as I want to incorporate both concrete and glass into my painting and this may be difficult to communicate with the images I have of these two buildings.

  1. As reading about one person certainly leads to reading about many more I intend to include one architects vision from the 1930s which has been recently completed.

  • Also work that reflects the war torn years,

  • A number of late 20th and early 21st century buildings.

  • Further I need to link the style of work I am doing and am using titles provided from reading The Tate Gallerys information about John Varley 18th Century water colourist Monochrome 'The Blot'

Each image will be in Acrylic paint on MDF board 40x40x2cm , as identified in my proposal my work will occupy a space 2600mm x 1600mm, the middle row at eye level (I have allowed 10cm above below and to all sides as a minimum) for this work.

If you need confirmation of my other proposals I can now expand on these too.

No comments:

Post a Comment