Tuesday 28 May 2013

BLOG Seminar December 2012

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000167 EndHTML:0000004719 StartFragment:0000000454 EndFragment:0000004703
BLOG Seminar December 2012


There is no longer any such thing as counter-culture

We have been asked to consider counter-cultural moments
and then
Discuss if this, (counter-culture) could happen now, or has the counter-cultural been absorbed and sold back to us as a commodity?


I had a file full of relevant papers, notes and our plan for our seminar today, we (Alex and I ) had read loads, Alex had bought a number of books and we had both prepared well , we knew how we were going to work, but I was held up and late in. I had all my notes and presentation plans with me, so that did not help Alex who started to work on the OHP side of things. We also had that incredibly long cold crit this morning that seemed to go on for hours, cutting short any time to gather our thoughts.

Everything was then too much of a rush and my mind really went blank. My rule for presentations let me down and I had to 'read the stuff', rather than talk about our bulleted points.

Like the morning crit, this too turned into a very long session, but I had, what can to a certain extent be termed a working knowledge of the era, and was able to respond and with Alex move the session forward as memories helped restore what had frozen up earlier.

I believe Alex and I through our research and reading had a substantial insight into the era of revolution, but counter cultural moments reveal themselves periodically, taking different forms in time; wars; industrial changes; votes for women; Gothic; tribal piercings and many more are all counter-cultural moments and reshape becoming absorbed as our culture changes, we have a very different society now, I think it unlikely that a massive movement that changes the course of art will be seen as society accepts and absorbs.



I was 20 in1968, I lived near to Crouch End, I had had, an unconditional place at Hornsey when I was 17, and many of my friends were there at the time of 'the revolution' that inspired and changed so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment