Sunday 4 November 2012

Practice Seminars

Gosh this was a bit of a push to get together, there were three of us, not all available at the same time.  Our leading question:

 Do art practices foregrounding performance and the performative have lessons for how the art museum today should explore the role of society in art, and thus how it should think about programming, pedagogy and collection strategy?     (performance and performativity http//www.tate.orguk/about/projects/performance-and-perform)

This was a really interesting topic and although I did not focus enough on what the question was really leading towards, the research I did do took me to some interesting places that I probably would not have explored otherwise. Apart from questioning how collection can take place and the problems inherent in the nature of performance art, I spent time looking at performances, using you tube and The Tate on line.

I found out about the FRBR, this is a body that identifies The functional requirements for bibliographic requirements, this organisation identifies what constitutes a record, performance art will no doubt have several interconnected records, there are then problems about the longevity of the media for storage etc.
  -->
There is no art to store with out the artist, only the what is left over.....
and what the people who witness the performance take home......


 More recently in our contextual studies I have begun to understand more about the the role of society in art, and I believe that I needed to look more at why there is this growth in performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment